Most Viewed Stories
German shepherd caught in burning home dies
Dog inhaled large amount of smoke
A German shepherd died Monday evening after being injured in a house fire earlier in the morning.
Firefighters had worked to keep Booger alive earlier in the day after he had inhaled smoke while trapped inside the burning building.
“Everyone in the area was affected by the situation he was in,” said Charly McMurdie, Rural/Metro public information officer.
“We all knew he was in serious condition and that made us work harder to keep his fight strong.”
Booger was inside of a trailer home in the 900 block of Bell Avenue when it began to burn just before noon on Monday. The occupants of the residence were able to escape, but the dog became trapped in the bathroom. While the fire did not spread to that room, Booger inhaled a large amount of smoke and became incapacitated.
Emergency personnel found Booger laying in a puddle of water, and used a blanket to remove him from the home. Once outside, they began treating him with oxygen and a “FIDO BAG,” a specialized breathing apparatus that is formed to fit the muzzle of an animal.
“When he had the energy, he would wag his tail or try to lift his head,” McMurdie said.
Booger was stabilized and taken to Desert Veterinary Clinic for treatment. Donors raised $1,265 to pay for the veterinarian bill.
Although so many had worked to keep Booger alive, he took his final breath just after 6 p.m.