Business Glance 12-16-12
Business women meet
The Yuma chapter of American Business Women's Association will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Radisson, 1501 S. Redondo Center Drive. The meeting will include networking, dinner and a program. The cost of $17 will be collected at the door.
This month's program, Holiday Celebration Extravaganza, will feature local business women who will host promo tables, offering an opportunity for some last-minute holiday shopping.
Reservations are needed by Monday; contact hospitality chair Brooke at 246-3034 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Yuma County Chamber of Commerce will hold its December mixer from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Fisher Chevrolet, 3201 S. Chevy Lane. Cost is $5 at the door.
For more information, call the chamber at 782-2567.
All veterans and potential employers are invited to the 2012 Veterans Event from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma Sonoran Club. The event is free and includes a buffet dinner. RSVP is required by calling 317-6151.
Presentations will include:
• Judy Gresser, regional manager for Yuma Community Foundation — supporting veterans through philanthropy.
• Randy Nelson, director of the Arizona Western College Small Business Development Center — the benefits of entrepreneurship and how to get started.
• Jim Pipper, marketing and outreach specialist for Small Business Administration — how to hire a veteran and the benefits associated.
• Ed Swierkos, AWC veteran services officer — GI Bill benefits and eligibility.
• Tom Kiley, owner of Hunter Employment — employer benefits for hiring veterans.
Chamber seeks awards nominations
The Yuma County Chamber of Commerce is seeking nominations for the annual awards presented during its annual awards and installation banquet Jan. 11 at the Pivot Point Conference Center.
Nominations must be received by noon Friday. The awards include:
• Small Business Person — Recognizes the independent entrepreneurial spirit that plays such a vital role in building the community and its economy.
• Athena International Award — Presented to someone who has attained and personifies the highest level of professional excellence in her profession, has devoted time and energy to her community in a meaningful way and most especially has generously assisted women in attaining their full potential.
For more information, nomination forms, call the chamber at 782-2567 or visit www.yumachamber.org.