Shooting sports opportunities are plentiful, educational
For many of us, taking advantage of shooting sports opportunities in Yuma is very important, for recreation as well as practice for hunting in Arizona. It also provides a great opportunity for families to do something fun together while teaching our youngsters the safety aspects of the various shooting disciplines with firearms and bow and arrow. Education is the key to safety and when kids learn the ropes they know what to do and not do for guns and bows to be used safely - this can be ever so important. And that's where the Adair Park shooting range facility and the Foothills Archery Range are such a great part of our community with ranges available for our use and shooting clubs on hand to assist us. Check out the clubs listed here and become a part of the fun and learning available to us all.
• Renegade Archers of Yuma: All archers are always welcome to shoot the trail of 3D animals at 9 a.m. each Sunday at the Foothills Archery Range as well as during the week, daytime hours for practice and enjoyment. Adult fees are $5 or $3 with annual membership of $15. Youngsters are always free of charge with equipment on hand for anyone not having their own. Call Jean Wilson at 726-0953. Latest results: UNL: 1. Lowell Lehman, 2. Ed Ernst, 3. Dwight Newsom, 4. Gordie Lehman; LIM: Duane Kleiman; BB: Sr. — 1. Jean Wilson, Women — 1. Sheila Rosner; Pee — 1. Edith Rosner; Half-Pint — 1. Chris Rosner; TRAD: Sr. — 1. Dick Gale; Men — Michael Rosner.
• Southwest Bowhunters: All archers welcome to shoot at 9 a.m. Sundays with the practice range open week days at Adair Park. Call Wayne Wittenberg at 314-0140.
• Yuma Trap and Skeet Club: Open trap and skeet 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, Noon to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Adair Park with great programs available for kids to get involved in as well. Call John Gross at 580-7837.
• Yuma Territorial Longrifles: Black Powder Matches the first and third Saturdays with a meeting the first Saturday each month at 8:30 a.m. at Adair Park. Call James Ingram at 726-6632. .22 Rifle Schutezen Matches are held at the black powder range the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays each month as well - call Roger Bickel at 726-7453.
• Cholla Gun Club: .22 Rifle and Pistol Fun Shoots, open to all, are held Wednesdays and Fridays for any rimfire firearm with door prizes each Friday; Silhouette Matches the 4th Saturdays and Sundays through March for lever action rifle with sign up at 8:30 a.m. at the Adair Park metallic silhouette range. Call Glenda or Rick at 314-1029.
• Yuma Rifle and Pistol Club: Long Range and High Power Matches, open to civilian, service, women, men and junior shooters are held each month at the Adair Park big bore range. Call Paul Lerma at 783-6766. Ask about Vintage Matches as well as programs for young shooters.
• Yuma Matchmasters: Open IPSC Combat Matches held the 2nd Sunday each month with Cowboy Matches held the 4th Sundays at the Adair Park small bore range with sign up at 7:30 a.m., the shoot at 8 a.m. Call Ron Gisssendaner at 726-0022.
• Yuma Valley Rod and Gun Club: Be sure to visit the club at the Yuma County Fairgrounds Commercial Building during this year's fair open through April 4 and get your $20 ticket for the $16,000 Cash Raffle (1st place $10,000, 2nd $3,000, 3rd $2,000 and 4th place $1,000). Call Paul Williams at 343-9099 or Ebert Fike at 783-5273.
The club is planning a great tri-tip and chicken dinner with all the trimmings for May 1 at Britain Farms with tickets $40 individual, sponsor and corporate tables available. The Early Bird deadline for a nice prize is April 15. Anyone wanting to advertise in the program or donate raffle items are welcome to call Vicki or Mike Brick at 783-9268.
• American Bass: Brenton Lute and Justin Stewart teamed to take top honors at the latest Colorado River Tournament with their five fish limit weighing 13.0 (big fish 5.11). Other results include: 2. Chris and Mike Walker with 5 fish - 12.15, 3. Lannes Brock/Harold Wah, 5 fish - 9.02, 4. Gary Understiller/Ken Howden, 5 fish - 8.87, 5. Joe Mayerchik/Jack Cotten, 5 fish - 8.65, 6. Rick Fallon/Michael Natison, 5 fish - 7.85, 7. Charles Cernic with 4 fish - 6.30, 8. Ted Roper/Cliff Wright, 3 fish - 5.89, 9. Dwight Palmer/ Richard Gill Jr., 4 fish - 5.62. Sign up 4-6 p.m. April 9 at Sportsmen's Hideaway or 1 to 2 hours prior to safe light April 10 at Fisher's Landing to fish that day's tournament. Call Gabe Valdez at (928) 897-5691.
• Yuma Bassmasters: Attend the April 6 meeting at 6 p.m. at River Marine with a presentation by Russ Engle, fishing biologist with the Yuma office of Game and Fish, and planning for the April 17 Open Bass Team Tournament launching out of Fisher's Landing on the agenda. Call Jeff Pacewic at 580-2031 or visit email@example.com. Latest results: 1. 1, Chris Walker/Jeff Pacewic 15.58, 2. Lannes Brock 10.98, 3. Tim/Kelley Price 10.65. Big Fish: 1. Walker/Pacewic 7.27, 2. Bobbi/Mac McDermott 4.30. Points Standings (after 3 tournaments without throwout): 1. Robert Murray 141, 2. Lannes Brock 140, 3. Jeff Pacewic 138, 4. Chris Walker 138, 5. Tim Price 136, 6. Kelley Price 136, 7. Curtis Cernic 91, 8. Joe Robinson 91, 9. Harold Wah 91, 10. Craig Johnson 88.
• Yuma Pro/Am Series: Check next week's column for results of today's tournament or call Bob La Londe at 520-1270 or visit firstname.lastname@example.org. Membership to ProAm - a great way to learn how to fish - is $15 with $25 tournament entry plus options available. Thanks to La Londe for his latest report indicating water temperatures hovering around the mid-60's. La Londe says, "Topwater action is not really turned on yet, but a frog fish or two can be had by the diehards. Most bass are off the beds or guarding fry."
• Jackpot Tournament: Pay the $5 fee and sign up at the Fisher's Landing bar on Tuesdays to fish the Wednesday Colorado River Tournament each week with weigh in at 1 p.m. at the gas dock. Call Jimmy Phipps at 919-0376.
• Desert Bass Anglers "the fun way to fish": Get together at Mittry Lake April 3 for that day's open tournament for anglers with tournament approved boats - call Mac or Bobbi McDermott at 726-1984 or visit email@example.com.