East County Highlights 9-6-12
• Wellton Elementary School — The annual uniform drive is under way. There is a need for new or slightly used tops and/or bottoms of uniforms to assist children in need. Donations may be made at the school office. Monetary donations are also welcome. For more information, call 785-3311.
• Mohawk Valley School — Early release will be 1:30 p.m. Monday.
• Wellton Library — The Health Department immunization clinic will be at the library from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, youth video game day at 2 p.m. Lego fun is 2:30 p.m. Saturday. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Teen time is 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and an advocate from Amberly's Place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Sewing class meets at 2 p.m. Friday. Book club will discuss “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Kahled Hoseini at 10 a.m. Saturday, homework help at 10 a.m., kidz kraft at 10:30 a.m., Wii games from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., La virgen que forjo una patria at 1 p.m. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m., computacion basica at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basica at noon, yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Town of Wellton — The next town council meeting will be 7 p.m. Sept. 18. The swimming pool hours are 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call the pool at 785-9239. Pioneer Day is Feb. 3. If you have any suggestions for a theme or grand marshall, contact the office at 785-3348.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Barstool bingo from 3-5 p.m. every Sunday. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. every Tuesday, nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.