Most Viewed Stories
- Man who robbed Foothills bank sentenced to nearly 20 years in federal prison
- Change of plea hearing delayed for ex-Yuma dancer
- Police seek timeline of days leading up to woman's death
- New trial date set and plea agreement accepted in baseball bat murder case
- Man accused of trying to smuggle almost $1M worth of cocaine
Two weekend house fires in Yuma
The Yuma Fire Department responded to two house fires over the weekend.
On Saturday at about 10:45 a.m. firefighters found light smoke coming from a house on the 900 block of East 24th Place, where a small fire had originated in the wall insulation of an unfinished addition. Several people and up to 30 dogs were evacuated. Firefighters made sure the fire was out, ventilated the home and the building was able to be re-occupied.
On Sunday at about 12:30 a.m., a more severe fire damaged a house on the 1000 block of La Casita Drive. Firefighters arrived to heavy flames and smoke, and spent 20 to 30 minutes knocking down the blaze. Live downed power lines complicated the fight.
The home's resident was evaluated for smoke inhalation he may have suffered while looking for two dogs, which were not immediately located. He refused further treatment. A neighboring home also sustained minor damage.
The causes of both fires are under investigation.