East County Highlights 9-27-12
• Kiwanis fishing derby — The annual fishing derby will be 7 a.m. Oct. 6 at the pond behind Del Sol Market.
• Mohawk Valley School — Reading counts for sixth through eighth grades are due Friday. Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday.
• Wellton Elementary School — There will be an all-school awards assembly at 2 p.m. Friday. Photo day is Tuesday.
• Wellton Library — Baby time is 11:30 a.m. today. Youth video game day is 2 p.m. Friday. Lego fun is 2:30 p.m. Saturday. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Teen time is 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and an advocate from Amberly's Place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Baby time is 11 a.m. today. Foothills quilters meet at 10 a.m. Friday, preschool story time at 10:30 a.m. The teen movie “Hunger Games” is 1 p.m. Saturday. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m., computer basics at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basico at noon, and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m. Friend of Foothills library will meet at 5 p.m. Wednesday.
• Town of Wellton — Sanitation department will begin its winter schedule on Monday. Trash pickup will be moved to 7 a.m. The swimming pool hours are 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call 785-9239. Pioneer Day is Feb. 3. If you have any suggestions for a theme or grand marshall, call 785-3348. The next alley clean up will be the first week of November.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• Habitat For Humanity — Each collection site to recycle aluminum cans will have an “Enviro green” Habitat collection house. There are lots of locations throughout the east county. Other donations can be made by calling the store at 344-5788 to arrange for a free pick up. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information, call 783-3993.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Barstool bingo from 3-5 p.m. every Sunday. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. every Tuesday; nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.