Most Viewed Stories
Balloons take flight this morning over Yuma
Hot air balloons graced Yuma's skies this morning, in advance of the 21st annual Colorado River Crossing Balloon Festival, hosted by Caballeros de Yuma.
The festival, which will be held Friday, Saturday and Sunday, will feature about 30 balloons.
Here's a look at the schedule of weekend festivities:
• 6 to 10 a.m. - Launch - Balloons leave the combined playgrounds of Gila Vista Junior High and McGraw Elementary Schools. Parking and entry will be from the Keegan parking lot.
Launch at West Wetlands Park - 1st Street and 12th Avenue
• 6 a.m. Gates Open
• 6 to 10 a.m. - Food and drinks provided by Sunrise Rotary Club will be available for purchase at the launch site.
• Sunrise - Flag Ceremony
• 7:15 a.m. - Launch - Balloons leave the West Wetlands in a mass ascension. Sponsor Day.
• 4 p.m. - Regional School Carnival and Student Tissue Balloon Launch at Desert Sun Stadium - 1st Street and 12th Avenue. Admission is $1 per person or the donation of any non-perishable food item.
• 4 to 7 p.m. - Tether Balloon Rides - $15 per person at Desert Sun Stadium
• 5:30 p.m. - Desert Balloon Glow, followed by fireworks, also at Desert Sun Stadium
Balloon Launch at West Wetlands Park
• 6 a.m. - Gates open
• Sunrise - Flag ceremony
• 6 to 9 a.m. - Morning events and balloon launch take place - food and drinks available.
• 7:15 am - Launch
Visit the Yuma Sun's Facebook page to find more photos of this morning's flight.