Most Viewed Stories
- Man who robbed Foothills bank sentenced to nearly 20 years in federal prison
- Change of plea hearing delayed for ex-Yuma dancer
- Police seek timeline of days leading up to woman's death
- New trial date set and plea agreement accepted in baseball bat murder case
- Man accused of trying to smuggle almost $1M worth of cocaine
Military Profile - 2nd Lt. Patrick Michael Kirk
In what branch of the military did you or do you serve and during what years?
U.S. Marine Corps. I enlisted in the Marine Corps reserves in 2004 and served six years as a reservist. In 2011, I commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps on active duty and presently serve as the Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron Adjutant.
What is your rank?
Second Lieutenant, O-1E
What led you to join the military?
Patriotism for my country.
What are some medals, commendations, citations or other military honors you are proud of having earned?
The pride I carry as a Marine has more to do with the Marines I served with rather than awards I have achieved. Deploying in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom resulted in me being awarded the Iraq Campaign Medal.
What would be your advice to someone considering or planning a career in the military?
Think about what your goals are, then train and plan accordingly. Don't allow anyone (recruiter, friends or family) to sway you towards something you don't want to do. Whatever happens after that, take it in stride.
What are your hobbies and interests?
Working out, guns, dogs and writing.
Immediate family members?
My family lives in Kansas and the Washington, D.C. area.