Extra officers on patrol this weekend
Officers with the Yuma Police Department, deputies with the Yuma County Sheriff's Office and other law enforcement personnel will have additional officers out on patrol this holiday weekend to target any motorists impaired by drugs or alcohol as part of the "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" Labor Day Impaired Driving Enforcement Detail.
The detail is a joint national effort between law enforcement agencies to get impaired drivers off the road, raise public awareness about the dangers of impaired driving, and most importantly, to save the lives of motorists and pedestrians.
"The Labor Day weekend is a time to celebrate with friends and family," YPD officials stated in a press release. "Unfortunately, due to the large number of impaired drivers, the weekend has also become very dangerous. Impaired driving is one of America’s most often committed and deadliest crimes."
YPD encourages weekend revelers to adhere to the following precautions -
* Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
* Before drinking, designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home.
* If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member.
* If you happen to see an impaired driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911.
* If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.