Most Viewed Stories
- Man who robbed Foothills bank sentenced to nearly 20 years in federal prison
- Police seek timeline of days leading up to woman's death
- Change of plea hearing delayed for ex-Yuma dancer
- New trial date set and plea agreement accepted in baseball bat murder case
- Man accused of trying to smuggle almost $1M worth of cocaine
Yuma has produced fantastic musicians
I have been asked after my recent letter to the editor about past memories of Yuma if I could remember who the Piano Bar musicians were. Yes, I can remember some of them. They were Jimmy Caves on piano with Bill and Kenny. When we were lucky, Sandy Griffin would sing with Jimmy too. There was Roy Anthony on piano. He had various singers also, like Lisa and her son Roy.
The Chilton in Yuma and the Lido in Winterhaven had Pete Munoz on the piano. I forgot the Kiva Club at Musick’s restaurant. Earl Daniel sang country (very good). Remember Jay and Lupe? Wow! What a husband and wife duo.
The Yuma bands were Tommy Munoz, Frank Orduno, The Originals, Fast Gun, The Torques and you can’t forget Larry Dees.
If you look from back then to now, Yuma and surrounding areas have put out some fantastic musicians from our school bands to the local entertainers.
I don’t know much on the Reggae or Rap music scene but Yuma is popular with local musicians with their kind of sounds.