Road report for week of May 12
Motorists attempting to navigate the various road construction
projects in and around the Yuma area are advised of the current
conditions for the week of May 5.
Share your experiences and or frustrations in the comment area below:
AREA SERVICE HIGHWAY
1. The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) continues construction on the new State Route 195, also known as the Area Service Highway. Araby Raod traffic will be restricted to the new pavement on the west side of the roadway with one lane in each direction. 32nd Street traffic has been reduced to one lane in each direction at this intersection as well.
2. The next phase will widen the intersection of County 14th Street at Avenue 6-1/2E and construct a new roadway northward on the alignment of Araby Road for two miles to 40th Street. Once this work is completed, SR 195 will be open to traffic from County 14th Street to Interstate 8. A separate segment will be constructed along County 23rd Street from Avenue E-1/2 to Avenue B and along the Barry M. Goldwater Range. The entire project is scheduled for completion in September 2009.
AVENUE A POWER POLE RELOCATION
3. Arizona Public Service is relocating power poles along Avenue A between 15th Street and just south of 24th Street from the west side of the avenue to the east. Instead of having poles on both sides of the avenue, power poles will be removed from the west side of the avenue and new, taller steel poles are being installed on the east side that will hold both sets of lines. This will not only prepare for the widening of Avenue A that could begin construction this coming spring, but will also reduce the number of poles along the avenue.
Occasional northbound lane closures will necessitate that the existing center turn lane of Avenue A be used at times for through traffic, resulting in left-turn restrictions. Motorists are asked to plan ahead for access into surrounding neighborhoods from Avenue A and are advised to use alternate routes whenever possible.
24TH STREET WIDENING BETWEEN AVENUE 6E AND AVENUE 9E
4. Slowdowns and turn restrictions remain likely in this area as a result of this major road widening and construction project, which will continue into the fall. Additions to the original contract for this project have resulted from conflicts with utilities; removal and replacement of manholes and water service locations; the addition of a water line along Avenue 7E (both design and construction); the adjustment of fencing due to grade differences and finalization of right of entry documentation. Estimated completion date is October 2008.
AVENUE C BETWEEN 24TH STREET AND 32ND STREET
5. Traffic control is in place near the intersection of Avenue C and 28th Street so a contractor can complete the construction of a sanitary sewer force main for private development. Construction is anticipated to be completed in early May.
Drivers are reminded to slow their vehicles through this construction zone for the protection of everyone in the vicinity of the construction.
Open trenches will be dug between intersection of 1st Street with Gila Street and Ocean-to-Ocean Bridge for placement of a fiber optic conduit, reducing Penitentiary Avenue to one lane of traffic south of the bridge this week.
Source: City of Yuma