Most Viewed Stories
Learning off the land
Agricultural education is a year-round process.
It doesn't just stop when the school year ends: Many members of the Future Farmers of America in Yuma are already planning their next fair project and are hard at work for the coming year.
Honored at the recent 73rd annual Parent/Member Awards Banquet, according to Alexandria Eatherly, 2009-2010 Yuma FFA Chapter reporter):
• Macey Wildermuth - Agricultural Communica- tions sponsored by Ed Whitehead’s Tire and The Golden Mike Award sponsored by Jay Walker/KTTI radio station.
• Alexandria Eatherly – Beef Production sponsored by John and Val Colvin, Public Speaking Award sponsored by Kasey, Samantha and Jared Fry and Scholastic Award sponsored by Miller Chemical Company.
• Ashley Wilson - Diversified Livestock Production sponsored by Lynn and Jackie Miller, Specialty Animal Production sponsored by Yuma Feed and Livestock Supply, Chapter Star in Agriscience sponsored by Brenda and Allen Raney, Chapter Leadership Award sponsored by Dallas Nibe, and DeKalb Award sponsored by H and H Plumbing.
• Joshua Lopez – Landscape Management sponsored by Rob and Robin Wilson.
• John Ortega – Sheep Production sponsored by Danny and Gayle Buchan.
• Henrietta Daymon – Small Animal Production and Care sponsored by RDO Equipment Co. and Member of the Year sponsored by Chris and Damion Liska.
• Jacob Baldwin – Swine Production sponsored by Lynn Stacy and Chapter Star in Agricultural Placement sponsored by Yuma Farm and Home Supply.
• Ivan Madison – Star Greenhand sponsored by Hank and Jinx Green and Chapter Top Hand Award sponsored by Dole Fresh Vegetables.
• Rachel Land – Chapter Star Farmer sponsored by Greg and Dawn Freytag.
• Darian Frazer – Record Book Award sponsored by Jim and Dianne Reinertson.
• Angel Torres – Chapter Top Hand Award sponsored by Gila Valley Farms.
• Abigail Yepiz - Helen Neinast Memorial Scholarship sponsored by the Yuma FFA Alumni Association for $300.
• Rachel Land, Malina Montenegro, Macey Wildermuth and Ashley Wilson - Yuma FFA Alumni Scholarships for $200 each.
• Rachel Land - Commitment to Agriculture Scholarship for $1,500 sponsored by Monsanto Company through the National FFA Organization.
• Kasey Fry - ACTE Az Scholarship for $1,500 sponsored by the Association for Career and Technical Education of Arizona.
Community members recognized for their contributions during the past year were: Honorary Chapter Members, sponsored by Yuma FFA – Mike Gray, Christie McMorris and Rob Wilson.
During the banquet the retiring officers installed the 2009-2010 Yuma FFA Chapter officers: Taylor Baldwin, president; Kaitlyn Matthew, vice president; Jonathan Bailey, vice president of community development; Ivan Madison, secretary; William Schultz, treasurer; Alexandria Eatherly, reporter; Sarah Land, sentinel.