|Marching Band Bonanza|
The first ever Yuma Marching Band Exhibition included bands from Kofa High School, Gila Ridge High School, Cibola High School and Yuma High School. Video by Chris McDaniel and Rob Powell
|Friday night fun|
Looking for something fun to do with the family on Friday evenings? How about taking in a local high school football game? Not only do you get a great sporting event, but a musical treat by the marching band too. Video by Chris McDaniel
Most Viewed Stories
Midnight Sun: Friday nights under the lights
It has been six years since I graduated from Yuma High School, so when I walked onto Doan Field last Friday night, I was nearly overcome with nostalgia.
I was kind of prone to trouble in those days, which made my first encounter of the evening much more enjoyable.
In high school I always had a cat-and-mouse relationship with one of the school’s security guards known respectfully as “Bones.” You see, I had a problem with ditching in those days and was often called into Vice Principal Magin’s office to face my punishment. Bones was always there.
So when I walked up to the field, looking all respectable-like in my slacks and press badge, and shook Bones’ hand, it felt great to realize how much things have changed.
Talking to Bones, I finally understood that it was never anything personal. The man had a job to do. He said as much, stating I had managed to turn out all right.
Bones led me onto the field so I could film the varsity football team wail on their rivals from Lake Havasu.
I didn’t know it when I received the assignment, but that Friday was also Homecoming at Yuma High, and for me it truly was.
As I walked across the field, the smell of fresh emerald grass crushing under my feet and the quiet buzzing of the floodlights mingled to welcome me back.
In high school I was proud to perform in the Criminal Drum Line, and as the varsity band marched onto the field with the same pre-show cadence I had known, memories of those years flooded back into my mind.
I watched eagerly as the band swung into action to make beautiful formations for the pleasure of the onlooking audience. I remember how hard it was my freshman year to keep in step and not drop the beat. Trust me when I say it is harder than it looks.
A few things have changed with the band. They have new uniforms and a different director now, but the spirit of the band remains the same.
During the game, as the football team stomped all over their rivals, the band occupied the stands, blasting their colorful music when the opposing team had the ball. I remember sitting up there with the guys and gals who were on my drumline, and it brings a smile to my face.
I truly miss being part of that organization, but I know those days are gone forever, save the fond memories we all hold dear in our hearts.
Going to watch a local football game, really of any local high school, is a great way to spend a Friday night.
Even if you aren’t from Yuma, pick a school and go root them on. I don’t know how it is for the football team, but when those bleachers were packed with a loud audience, those were the best of times.
See you next week under the midnight sun...
• Kevin Melcher - 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9, and Saturday, Oct. 10 - Daybreakers Cafe
• Yuma Jazz Company - 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9 - Julieanna's Patio Cafe
• Re-Wind - 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9, and Saturday, Oct. 10 - LZ Bar and Grill
• Slick Nickel - 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9, and Saturday, Oct. 10 - Sharkey's Lounge at Paradise Casino
• Tommy and the Drifters - 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9, and Saturday, Oct. 10 - Yuma Landing
• Arizona Old Time Fiddlers Association - 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 15 - American Legion Post No. 19
• 5 p.m. today - Daybreakers Cafe
• 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 9 - Friendly Tavern
• 9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14 - Friendly Tavern
• 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14 - Hooligan's Sports Bar/Grill & Comedy Club
• Yuma Blues Band Jam - 7:30 p.m. every Wednesday - LZ Bar and Grill
• 9 p.m. every Sunday - Pop A Top Saloon
• Dierks Bentley - 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 12 - Quechan Casino's Pipa Event Center
• Ron White - 8 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 22 - Quechan Casino's Pipa Event Center
• Tony Orlando - 8 p.m., Friday, Dec. 18 - Quechan Casino's Pipa Event Center