Generous spirit a hallmark of our community
We're fortunate that we live in a community as generous as Yuma.
It's not uncommon for a need to arise, and the residents of Yuma County repeatedly give, time and time again. It's a hallmark of this community, and one we take pride in.
With the holidays upon us, there are a number of organizations that could benefit from Yuma's philanthropy, which in turn passes on to those less fortunate.
If you have a little extra this year, Yuma, here are a few organizations that could use a helping hand — be it some volunteer time, food or clothing:
• Amberly's Place offers assistance and services to victims of abuse, and is in need of financial support, as well as volunteers — both at the thrift store and as a victim advocate. For more information, contact 373-0849.
• The Assistance League of Yuma provides comfort items to those in traumatic situations, as well as clothing and learning materials for schoolchildren, among other services. To lend them a hand, call 782-9314.
• Catholic Community Services offers services such as meals to seniors and Safe House, which shelters victims of abuse. To offer assistance or donations, contact 341-9400.
• Child and Family Services serves children in need as a result of abuse, neglect or strife at home. In need of donations ranging from personal care items to suitcases, they can be reached at 783-2427.
• Crossroads Mission provides shelter, services such as substance abuse treatment programs, GED classes and a soup kitchen. To learn more, contact 783-9362.
• Salvation Army provides a variety of services to residents in need, from utility bill help, assistance after an emergency, or holiday food boxes. To donate or volunteer, contact 782-3703.
• United Way, which offers a wide variety of services in Yuma, is in need of volunteers and financial assistance. For more information, call 783-0580.
• Yuma Community Food Bank is always in need of donations of food or money, as well as volunteers. For more information, call 343-1243.
Readers, we hope you will continue to uphold Yuma's charitable reputation and donate where you can this holiday season.