City's Neighborhood Cleanup continues
The annual city of Yuma Neighborhood Cleanup moves to Area 2 this week, the area defined as West Main Canal to 8th Street and East Main Canal to west city limits.
The 10-week campaign is held each spring within the city, when crews make the rounds of neighborhoods to collect bulky items residents no longer want but that don't fit in trash containers.
Examples of items that will be accepted during Neighborhood Cleanup include old furniture, mattresses, carpets and appliances; bagged lawn clippings; tree limbs that are no longer than 4 feet in length, tied and bundled and weigh no more than 50 pounds; and up to five tires without rims per residential location.
Items that will not be accepted are roofing and construction material; tree stumps; concrete or dirt; household hazardous waste such as motor oil, pesticides and other chemicals; tires with rims; abandoned or commercial vehicles or farm equipment; and any materials from commercial enterprises.
Residents are asked to place all items at the curb for collection at the beginning of their neighborhood's designated week. Do not block or place items near trash containers and water meters. Loose items must be bagged, boxed or tied. They must be easily handled by two people and not exceed 50 pounds.
Place appliances, tires, bound limbs and miscellaneous items into separate piles for easier handling. Be sure to keep any items that you don't want picked up well away from the rights of way surrounding your home.
The program will run through April 4. The remainder of the collection schedule includes:
• Area 3 – Feb. 11-14, Colorado Street to 8th Street and East Main Canal to east city limits
• Area 4 – Feb. 19- 21, 8th Street to 16th Street and East Main Canal to west city limits
• Area 5 – Feb. 25-28, 8th Street to 16th Street and East Main Canal to east city limits
• Area 6 – March 4-7, 16th Street to 24th Street and East Main Canal west city limits
• Area 7 – March 11-14, 16th Street to 24th Street and East Main Canal to Pacific Avenue
• Area 8 – March 18-21, East Main Canal to west city limits and 24th Street to south city limits
• Area 9 – March 25-28, East Main Canal to Pacific Avenue and 24th Street to south city limits
• Area 10 – April 1-4, Pacific Avenue to east city limits and 16th Street or Highway 95 to south city limits
For residents' convenience, listings and maps of the areas are available on the city's website at www.yumaaz.gov. Click on “Departments” in the left-hand column, then on “Public Works” to find the link to Neighborhood Cleanup 2013.