East County Highlights 10-11-12
• Wellton Elementary School — The annual fall festival begins with dinner 5-6 p.m. Oct. 29. Pre-sale tickets for the dinner are $5.50; $6 at the door. The carnival will be 5-9 p.m., and ride/carnival tickets are 25 cents each or 5 for $1. The costume contest is at 7 p.m. For tickets and information, call Monica Duarte at 247-0751.
• Mohawk Valley School — A celebration of Mohawk Valley School's demonstration garden will be at 1 p.m. Monday. Congratulations to October Optimist student of the month Daniel Nunez. Congratulations to October go-getters Briana Lytle and Helena Walker. The school would like to thank the Antelope Union High School skills class for their new tables and benches. A big thank you to the Yuma Community Food Bank for the 125 backpacks of food they provide weekly to Mohawk Valley families.
• Tri-Valley Ambulance — Mark your calendars for the 34th Tri-Valley Ambulance benefit at 6 p.m. Oct. 20 at the Wellton Community Centre, 10234 Dome St. Dinner is 6-8 p.m., music and dancing from 9 p.m. to midnight. Tickets are $10 adult; $5 children. The big-ticket drawing is 7-9 p.m. Big tickets cost $150, with the grand prize of $5,000. Raffle tickets and door prizes are also available. For tickets and information, call Susan Dodd at 785-3351.
• Early literacy project — Arizona PBS educational outreach will provide a series of six literacy workshops 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays now through Oct. 26 at the Wellton Library. Attend one or the entire series. Each explores a different topic from brain development, storytelling skills, to using safe media. Learn new insights and do exciting activities that can be extended to the home. You will receive a folder at each session with valuable resources, a children's book and DVD. Free child care provided. Register online at azpbs.org/workshops or call 1-855-818-6613.
• Wellton Library — Baby time is 11:30 a.m. today. Bilingual beginning computer class is 10:30 a.m. Saturday, video game day at 2:30 p.m. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, teen time at 1:30 p.m., and story time at 2 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Baby time is 11 a.m. today. Foothills Quilters meet at 10 a.m. Friday, preschool story time at 10:30 a.m. Book club will discuss “The Hangman's Daughter” by Oliver Potzsol at 10 a.m. Saturday, homework help at 10 a.m., Kidz Kraft at 10:30 a.m., Wii games from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. GED classes are 11 a.m. Tuesday, Write on the Edge at 1:30 p.m., Arizona Old Time Fiddlers jam session at 3, p.m. and Computacion Basica at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles Basico at noon and Yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m., computers for absolute beginners at 2 p.m.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuits and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-6 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. every Tuesday. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. and nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. and meat draws 2-5 p.m. every Thursday. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Full breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.