East County Highlights 8-30-12
• Holiday closures — All east county banks, post offices and Wellton town hall will be closed Monday for Labor Day.
• Wellton Elementary School — The annual uniform drive is under way. There is a need for new or slightly used tops and/or bottoms of uniforms to assist children in need. Donations may be made at the school office. Monetary donations are also welcome. For more information, call 785-3311.
• Mohawk Valley School — Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday.
• Dateland Elementary School — Cheerleaders will cheer at the junior high night football game at Antelope Union High School at 7 p.m. Friday.
• Wellton Library — An advocate from Amberly's Place will be at the library from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Foothills Branch Library — Sewing class meets at 2 p.m. Friday. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, and write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. Basic English is noon Wednesday, and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Town of Wellton — The next alley clean up will be first week of September. The swimming pool hours are 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call the pool at 785-9239.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• Habitat for Humanity — Each collection site to recycle aluminum cans will have an “Enviro green” Habitat collection house. There are lots of location sites throughout the east county. Other donations can be made by calling the store at 344-5788 to arrange for a free pickup. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information, call 783-3993.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4 to 7 p.m. every day. Barstool bingo from 3 to 5 p.m. every Sunday. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings served from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. every Tuesday, nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.