East County Highlights 9-14-12
• Mohawk Valley School — Progress reports will go home today. Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday.
• Wellton Elementary School — Sports teams will play away at Dateland at 2 p.m. Wednesday.
• Wellton Library — Youth video game day is 2 p.m. today. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Teen time is 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and an advocate from Amberly's Place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Foothills quilters meet at 10 a.m. today, with preschool story time at 10:30 a.m. The movie “The Pirates! Band of Misfits” is 1 p.m. Saturday. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Write on the Edge at 1:30 p.m., computacion basica at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, ingles basico at noon, Yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Town of Wellton — The next town council meeting will be at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The swimming pool hours are 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call 785-9239. Pioneer Day is Feb. 3. If you have any suggestions for a theme or grand marshal, call the office at 785-3348.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Habitat for Humanity — Each collection site to recycle aluminum cans will have an “Enviro green” Habitat collection house. There are lots of locations sites throughout the east county. Other donations can be made by calling the store at 344-5788 to arrange for a free pickup. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information, call 783-3993.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Barstool bingo from 3-5 p.m. every Sunday. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. every Tuesday; nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.