East County Highlights 10-18-12
• Mohawk Valley School — There will be an early release at 12:30 p.m. today for parent teacher conferences. Also early release at 1:30 p.m. Monday. Photos taken and the mobile health clinic visits are Tuesday. Totally courageous basketball assembly at 9 a.m. Wednesday.
• Wellton Elementary School — The annual fall festival begins with a barbecue dinner 5-6 p.m. Oct. 27. Pre-sale tickets for the dinner are $5.50; $6 at the door. The carnival will be 5-9 p.m., and ride/carnival tickets are 25 cents each or 5 for $1. The costume contest is at 7 p.m. For tickets and information, call Monica Duarte at 247-0751.
• Meet the candidates — A meet and greet will be 6 p.m. Oct. 26 at Butterfield Park in Wellton. Come and meet Leon Wilmot, David Haws and Russ Clark, candidates for Yuma County sheriff, Superior Court judge and District 3 supervisor. This free event will have hamburgers with all the fixings.
• Tri-Valley Ambulance — The 34th annual Tri-Valley Ambulance benefit is 6 p.m. Saturday at the Wellton Community Center, 10234 Dome Street. Dinner is 6-8 p.m., music and dancing from 9 p.m. to midnight. Tickets are $10 adults; $5 children. The big-ticket drawing is 7-9 p.m. Big tickets cost $150, with the grand prize of $5,000. Raffle tickets and door prizes are also available. For tickets and information, call Susan Dodd at 785-3351.
• Early literacy project — Arizona PBS educational outreach will provide a series of six free family literacy workshops 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays now through Oct. 26 at the Wellton Library. Attend one or the entire series. Each explores a different topic from brain development, storytelling skills, to using safe media. Learn new insights and do exciting activities that can be extended to the home. You will receive a folder at each session with valuable resources, a children's book and DVD. Free child care provided. Register online at azpbs.org/workshops or call 1-855-818-6613.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Chuck's Stage Stop Restaurant in Wellton. For more information, call Stormi at 785-4610 or 1-623-293-6120.
• Wellton Library — Conversational Spanish is 10:30 a.m. today, baby time at 11:30 a.m. Bilingual beginning computer classes at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, and Lego fun at 2:30 p.m. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and teen time at 1:30 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Genealogy classes are 10 a.m. today, baby time at 11 a.m. Preschool story time is 10:30 a.m. Friday, beyond computer basics at 11:30 a.m. and sewing class at 2 p.m. Ghost stories for teens is 10 a.m. Saturday, the movie “Scared Shrekless” at 1 p.m. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. and computacion basica at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basico at noon, computers for absolute beginners and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m., job assistance center from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Town of Wellton — Alley cleanup will be first week of November.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms Mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores with four trips a day.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuits and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, followed by barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Omelet in a bag 8 a.m. Tuesdays, eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. and nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m., meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. every Thursday. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Full breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays. Steak dinner with all the trimmings at 5 p.m. Oct. 27. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.