Most Viewed Stories
East County Highlights 10-25-12
• Mohawk Valley School — Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday. Fall festival with barbecue dinner is 5 p.m. Tuesday.
• Wellton Elementary School — The annual fall festival begins with a barbecue dinner 5-6 p.m. Saturday. Pre-sale tickets for the dinner are $5.50; $6 at the door. The carnival is 5-9 p.m., and ride/carnival tickets are 25 cents each or 5 for $1. The costume contest is at 7 p.m. For tickets and information, call Monica Duarte at 247-0751.
Awards ceremony for fourth through eighth grades is 1:45 to 3 p.m. Friday.
• Dateland Elementary School — Halloween carnival with dinner at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 1, booths open at 6 p.m. and bingo at 7 p.m.
• Meet the candidates — A meet and greet will be 6 p.m. Friday at Butterfield Park in Wellton. Come and meet Leon Wilmot, David Haws and Russ Clark, candidates for Yuma County sheriff, Superior Court judge and District 3 supervisor. This free event will have hamburgers with all the fixings.
• Wellton Library — Conversational Spanish is 10:30 a.m. today, baby time at 11:30 a.m. Bilingual beginning computer classes at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, video game day at 2 p.m. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and teen time at 1:30 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Baby time is 11 a.m. today. Foothills quilters meet at 10 a.m. Friday, preschool story time at 10:30 a.m. Homework help is 10 a.m. Saturday, The movie “Dark Shadows” at 1 p.m. GED classes are 11 a.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. and computacion basica at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, and Ingles basico at noon, computers for absolute beginners and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Town of Wellton — Alley cleanup will be first week of November.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Chuck's Stage Stop Restaurant in Wellton. For more information, call Stormi at 785-4610 or 1-623-293-6120.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms Mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores with four trips a day.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuits and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, followed by barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Omelet in a bag 8 a.m. Tuesdays, eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. and nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m., meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. every Thursday. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Full breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays and steak dinner with all the trimmings at 5 p.m. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.
East County Highlights