East County Highlights 11-1-12
• Antelope Union High School — A trip to Europe is planned for next summer for Antelope students. Other students or adults are welcome. Departure is June 5 for 12 days touring London, Paris, Florence and Rome. For more information, contact Jeff Peters at 210-1635 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ski club is now taking orders for holiday greenery of wreaths and centerpieces. To order, call Jeff Peters at 785-3344, 210-1635 or see any ski club member.
Student council is hosting the annual Yuma County leadership day today. All local high school student councils will be attending.
• Mohawk Valley School — Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday. Common sense assembly is 1 p.m. Tuesday. Lunch bunch with the superintendent is 11:20 a.m. Wednesday, sports teams play away at Dateland at 2 p.m.
• Wellton Elementary School — Tuesday is photo retake day. Fourth-graders will host a huge rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 1. Donations accepted on Nov. 30. Drive through the parking lot and unload from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. All items accepted. If you want to raise a little money yourself, for your club or organization or family, you may rent a parking space for $20 and all the proceeds you make you keep. Payment must be made in advance as space is limited. To reserve a spot or for more information, call Teresa Kennedy at 785-3311 or email tkennedy42@Q.com.
• Dateland Elementary School — Halloween carnival begins with dinner at 5:30 p.m. today, booths open at 6 p.m. and bingo at 7 p.m.
• Dobson Museum — The museum is now open for the season. Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• Wellton Library — Conversational Spanish is 10:30 a.m. today, baby time at 11:30 a.m. Bilingual beginning computer classes at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and teen time at 1:30 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Baby time is 11 a.m. today. Preschool story time is 10:30 a.m. Friday, sewing class at 2 p.m. GED classes are 11 a.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. and computacion basica at 5:30 p.m. Toddler time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basico at noon, computers for absolute beginners and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Town of Wellton — Alley cleanup will be first week of November.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms Mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores with four trips a day.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Chuck's Stage Stop Restaurant in Wellton. For more information, contact Stormi at 785-4610 or 1-623-293-6120.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuits and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, followed by barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Omelet in a bag 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays, eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. and nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m., meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. every Thursday. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Full breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays. All VFW, American Legion, DAV, AmVets, Canadian Legion members and guests are welcome to use club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.