Most Viewed Stories
- Man who robbed Foothills bank sentenced to nearly 20 years in federal prison
- Police seek timeline of days leading up to woman's death
- Change of plea hearing delayed for ex-Yuma dancer
- New trial date set and plea agreement accepted in baseball bat murder case
- New court dates set for two suspects charged in Figueroa murder
East County Highlights 11-22-12
• Holiday closures — All east county schools, libraries and Wellton Town Hall are closed today and Friday for Thanksgiving. The post offices and banks are only closed today and will reopen Friday.
• Antelope Union High School — A trip to Europe is planned for next summer for Antelope students. Other students or adults are welcome. Departure is June 5 for 12 days touring London, Paris, Florence and Rome. For more information, contact Jeff Peters at 210-1635 or email@example.com.
• Wellton Elementary School — Fourth-graders will host a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 1. Donations accepted on Nov. 30. Drive through the parking lot and unload from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. All items accepted. If you want to raise a little money yourself, for your club or organization or family, you may rent a parking space for $20 and all the proceeds you make you keep. Payment must be made in advance as space is limited. To reserve a spot or for more information, call Teresa Kennedy at 785-3311 or email tkennedy42@Q.com.
• Wellton Library — Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Friends of the Library's annual book and patio sale at 10 a.m. You can buy bag of books for $5. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and teen time at 1:30 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — “The Avengers” at 1 p.m. Saturday, teen advisory board at 1 p.m. GED classes are 11 a.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. and computacion basica at 5:30 p.m. Ingles basico is noon Wednesday, novel writing session at noon, yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m., and job assistance center from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
• Dobson Museum — Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Chuck's Stage Stop Restaurant in Wellton. For more information, contact Stormi at 785-4610 or 1-623-293-6120.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores with four trips a day.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuit and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Omelet in a bag 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays, eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. and nine-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. every Wednesday. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. and live music 2-4 p.m. every Thursday. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays, live music 2-5 p.m., followed by steak dinner 5-7 p.m. All VFW and American Legion members and their guests are welcome to use the club facilities.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.