East County Highlights 11-29-12
• Craft, bake sale — Coach Stop RV Park, 30333 E. Wellton-Mohawk Drive, Wellton, will host its annual craft and bake sale from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. There will also be sales at individual sites in the park. Admission is free.
• Wellton Rose Garden — This year's first work session is 9 a.m. Dec. 12. Meet at the garden in front of Wellton Elementary School. Wear gloves for the cleaning and pruning project, bring garden tools and water to drink. This is a Desert Sands RV Park community project. All community members are invited to volunteer. For more information, call Sherlee at 785-8404.
• Wellton Elementary School — Fourth-graders will host a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Donations accepted Friday. Drive through the parking lot and unload from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. All items accepted. If you want to raise money yourself, for your club or organization or family, you may rent a parking space for $20 and all proceeds you make you keep. Payment must be made in advance as space is limited. To reserve a spot or for more information, call Teresa Kennedy at 785-3311 or email tkennedy42@Q.com.
• Mohawk Valley Elementary School — Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday. Sports teams will play at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Wellton Elementary School.
• Wellton Library — Conversational Spanish class is 10:30 a.m. today, baby time at 2:30 p.m. and computer class at 3 p.m. Mango ESL is 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, story time at 2 p.m. and teen time at 1:30 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — Foothills drumming circle for all ages is 1 p.m. today, Carol Brooks, former curator of the Arizona Historical Society will discuss life in Yuma during World War II at 10:30 a.m. Beyond computer basics is 11 a.m. Friday. GED classes are 11 a.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. Novel writing session is noon Wednesday and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Dobson Museum — Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Chuck's Stage Stop Restaurant in Wellton. For more information, contact Stormi at 785-4610 or 1-623-293-6120.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuit and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Omelet in a bag 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays, eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. Wednesdays, nine-ball pool tournaments at 1 p.m. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. Thursdays, meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays, live music 2-5 p.m. All VFW and American Legion members and their guests are welcome.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.