East County Highlights 12-6-12
• Christmas tree lighting — Santa and Mrs. Claus will arrive at the Westside Park in Wellton as the sun goes down around 6 p.m. Saturday. The tree and all the lights will be turned on. Enjoy entertainment and snacks while the kids get to visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus.
• Mohawk Valley Elementary School — The Christmas concert is 6 p.m. today. Sports teams will compete at home in the three school tournament at 9 a.m. Friday. The school board will meet at 6 p.m. Friday. Early release is 1:30 p.m. Dec. 14. School will be closed for winter break from Dec. 17 through Jan. 7.
• Dateland Elementary School — Sports teams will play at 9 a.m. Friday in the tournament at Mohawk Valley. Board meeting is 6 p.m. Tuesday.
• Wellton Elementary School — Sports teams will play at 9 a.m. Friday in the tournament at Mohawk Valley.
• Wellton Rose Garden — This year's first work session is 9 a.m. Wednesday. Meet at the garden in front of Wellton Elementary School. Wear gloves for the cleaning and pruning project, bring garden tools and water to drink. This is a Desert Sands RV Park community project. All community members are invited to volunteer. For more information, call Sherlee at 785-8404.
• Wellton Library — “Runways in the Sand” a history of Blythe Army Airbase will be presented by Art Wilson at 2 p.m. today, conversational Spanish class at 10:30 a.m., baby time at 1:30 p.m. and computer class at 3 p.m. Book club will meet at 10 a.m. Friday. Bilingual computer class is 10:30 a.m. Saturday and a holiday movie for youth at 1 p.m. Presentation on Parkinson's disease is 10 a.m. Tuesday, Mango ESL at 1:30 p.m., the Optimist Club sew-in from 1-5 p.m. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, teen time at 1:30 p.m., story time at 2 p.m. and a representative from Amberly's Place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Foothills Branch Library — “Runways in the Sand” a history of Blythe Army Airbase will be presented by Art Wilson at 10:30 a.m. today, Arizona Old Time Fiddler's will perform at 3 p.m. Beyond computer basics is 11 a.m. Friday and sewing class at 2 p.m. Book club meets at 10 a.m. Saturday, Wii games from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., kidz kraft at 10:30 a.m., and how to apply math to the world of art at noon. GED classes are 11 a.m. Tuesday, and write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. Computers for absolute beginners at 2 p.m. Wednesday and yarn over Yuma at 2 p.m.
• Dobson Museum — Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Chuck's Stage Stop Restaurant in Wellton. For more information, contact Stormi at 785-4610 or 1-623-293-6120.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuit and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Omelet in a bag 9-11 a.m. Tuesdays, eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. and ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. Wednesdays, nine-ball pool tournaments at 1 p.m. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. Thursdays, meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays, live music 2-5 p.m. All VFW and American Legion members and their guests are welcome.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane,” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.