East County Highlights 1-24-13
• Coulter benefit — A benefit pancake breakfast will be from 7 to 10 a.m. Feb. 9 at the Baptist Church and a car wash from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Del Sol.
• Mohawk Valley School — There will be an early release at 1:30 p.m. Monday. Sports teams will play at 2 p.m. Wednesday at home against Dateland.
• Bingo — American Legion Post 67 will have bingo at 6 p.m. Thursdays at the Wellton Community Center. Doors open at 5 p.m. Refreshments are available.
• Pioneer Day — The town of Wellton annual Pioneer Day celebrations will begin with the parade at 10 a.m. Feb. 2. The fiesta will begin at Butterfield Park at 11:30 a.m. with food, entertainment and booths. Application forms for parade, booths, and more information are available at the town hall or call 785-3348.
• Bluegrass concert — The Haining family from Branson, Mo., will give a bluegrass concert at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 2 at the Assembly of God Church in Wellton.
• Wellton Library — Volunteers are needed to donate pies or help at the Friends of the Library pie booth at the Pioneer Day fiesta Feb. 2. Friends of the Library will raffle 2 dolls.
• Conversational Spanish class is 10:30 a.m. today, baby time at 1:30 p.m. and computer class at 3 p.m. Registration is required for computer class. Latin fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, and Mango ESL at 1:30 p.m. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, teen time at 1:30 p.m., story time at 2 p.m., help with job finding from 10 a.m. to noon. A representative from Amberly's Place is on call to come to the library on an as-needed basis.
• Wellton Rose Garden — The next work session begins at 9 a.m. Feb. 13. Meet at the garden in front of the Wellton Elementary School. Wear gloves for the cleaning and pruning project, bring garden tools and water to drink. All community members are invited to volunteer. For more information, call Sherlee at 785-8404.
• Foothills Branch Library — The library will have an open house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today, genealogy classes are 10 a.m., baby time at 11 a.m. and memories for memoirs at 1:30 p.m. Foothills quilters meet at 10 a.m. Friday, preschool story time at 10:30 a.m., and eBooks at 2 p.m. Clowning around and the teen movie are 1 p.m. Saturday. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday and write on the edge at 1:30 p.m. Toddler story time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basico at noon, yarn over Yuma, and computer for absolute beginners at 2 p.m.
• Dobson Museum — Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Dusty's Pizza and Wings in Wellton. For more information, contact Coleen at 785-4355 or 1-480-586-0744.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuit and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. Tuesday, ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. Wednesdays, nine-ball pool tournaments at 1 p.m. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. Thursdays, meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays, live music 2-5 p.m., and steak dinner 5-7 p.m.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.