Most Viewed Stories
East County Highlights 2-7-13
• Mohawk Valley School — Early release is 1:30 p.m. Monday. Board meeting is 6 p.m. Tuesday. Sports teams will play at 2 p.m. at home against Wellton.
• Dateland Elementary School — Photo day is Friday. AIMs practice testing is Monday through Wednesday.
• Wellton Elementary School — Photo day is Friday. Girls' basketball will play in the tournament at Palo Verde Saturday. Antelope FFA will visit eighth-graders Tuesday.
• Coulter benefit — A benefit pancake breakfast will be from 7 to 10 a.m. Saturday at the Baptist Church and a car wash from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Del Sol.
• Wellton Library — Friends of the Library meeting is 9:30 a.m. today, conversational Spanish class at 10:30 a.m., baby time at 1:30 p.m. and computer class at 3 p.m. Registration is required for computer class. Create a Valentine's Day card at 11 a.m. Friday, fingernail art for teens and tweens at 3:15 p.m. Bilingual computer class is 10:30 a.m. Saturday and young love movie day for ages 12-17 at 2 p.m. Latin fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, writer's group meets at 1 p.m., mango ESL at 1:30 p.m. and pillowcase sewing from 1 to 4 p.m. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, make your own Valentine's Day cards for teens and tweens at 1:30 p.m., story time at 2 p.m., help with job finding from 10 a.m. to noon. A representative from Amberly's Place is on call to come to the library on an as-needed basis.
• Wellton Rose Garden — The next work session begins at 9 a.m. Wednesday. Meet at the garden in front of the Wellton Elementary School. Wear gloves for the cleaning and pruning project, bring garden tools and water to drink. All community members are invited to volunteer. For more information, call Sherlee at 785-8404.
• Foothills Branch Library — Baby time is 11 a.m. today, library open house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Foothills drumming circle meets at 1 p.m., memories for memoirs at 1:30 p.m., Arizona Old Time Fiddlers performance at 3 p.m. Foothills quilters meet at 10 a.m. Friday, preschool story time at 10:30 a.m. Foothills book club meets at 10 a.m. Saturday, Wii games at 10 a.m., Valentine's Day craft at 1 p.m. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1 p.m. and law enforcement explorer at 3:30 p.m. Toddler story time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basico at noon, yarn over Yuma and computer for absolute beginners at 2 p.m., job assistance center from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• Bingo — American Legion Post 67 will have bingo at 6 p.m. Thursdays at the Wellton Community Center. Doors open at 5 p.m. Refreshments are available.
• Dobson Museum — Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Dusty's Pizza and Wings in Wellton. For more information, call Coleen at 785-4355 or 1-480-586-0744.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuit and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. Tuesday, ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. Wednesdays, nine-ball pool tournaments at 1 p.m. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. Thursdays, meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays, live music 2-5 p.m.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.