East County Highlights 2-21-13
• Gospel concert — Canada's Double Portion will give a gospel concert at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Assembly of God Church.
• Yard sale — Desert Sands RV Park, 29590 Los Angeles Blvd., will have a yard sale at 8 a.m. March 2 in the recreation hall. No early shoppers.
• Wellton Rose Garden — The next work session is 9 a.m. March 13. Meet at the garden in front of the Wellton Elementary School. Wear gloves for the cleaning and pruning project, bring garden tools and water to drink. This is a Desert Sands RV Park community project. All community members are invited to volunteer. For more information, call Sherlee at 785-8404.
• Wellton Library — Conversational Spanish class is 10:30 a.m. today, baby time at 1:30 p.m. and computer class at 3 p.m. Registration is required for computer class. Young love movie day for ages 12-17 is 2 p.m. Saturday. Latin fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, writer's group meets at 1 p.m., and Mango ESL at 1:30 p.m. Fitness for fun is 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, teen time at 1:30 p.m., story time at 2 p.m., help with job finding from 10 a.m. to noon. A representative from Amberly's Place is on call to come to the library on an as-needed basis.
• Foothills Branch Library — The library will have an open house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today, genealogy at 10 a.m., baby time at 11 a.m., and memories for memoirs at 1:30 p.m. Foothills quilters meets at 10 a.m. Friday, preschool story time at 10:30 a.m. Daughters of the American Revolution, genealogy and membership at 10 a.m. Saturday, crafts for teens at 11:30 a.m., the movie Moonrise Kingdom and Foothills drumming circle for kids at 1 p.m. GED classes are 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, write on the edge at 1 p.m. Toddler story time is 11 a.m. Wednesday, Ingles basico at noon, yarn over Yuma and computer for absolute beginners at 2 p.m. and job assistance center from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
• Bingo — American Legion Post 67 will have bingo at 6 p.m. Thursdays at the Wellton Community Center. Doors open at 5 p.m. Refreshments are available.
• Dobson Museum — Tours are by appointment only Monday through Saturday. For a tour or more information, call Windy at 785-4013.
• Veterans assistance — AmVets 2, 9E and South Frontage Road, will offer veterans assistance at 10 a.m. every Tuesday. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served every day starting at 7 a.m. Karaoke will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pull tabs available. For more information, call 726-0102.
• YCAT — This public transport offers services from Wellton to Yuma and connecting services to many places in Yuma County including AWC, Yuma Palms mall, Cocopah Casino, YRMC and Walmart stores.
• Wellton Senior Center — Senior nutrition lunches are served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. daily. The center, 10234 Dome St., is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
• East County Optimists Club — Regular meetings of the club begin at 6 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month at Dusty's Pizza and Wings in Wellton. For more information, call Coleen at 785-4355 or 1-480-586-0744.
• VFW Post 6790 Men's and Ladies Auxiliary — Happy hour is 4-7 p.m. every day. Biscuit and gravy 8-11 a.m. Sundays, barstool bingo at 3 p.m. Hamburgers/cheeseburgers and fries with all the trimmings 4-7 p.m. Mondays. Eight-ball pool tournaments are 1 p.m. Tuesday, ladies darts at 2 p.m. Waffles served 8-10 a.m. Wednesdays, nine-ball pool tournaments at 1 p.m. Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. Thursdays, meat draws and live music 2-4 p.m. Fish 5-7 p.m. Fridays. Breakfast 8-11 a.m. Saturdays, live music 2-5 p.m., steak dinners 5-7 p.m.
To submit an article, call 446-6427, fax to 627-3521 or drop off at the Wellton Post Office, “Attention Diane” on or before Friday for the following Thursday edition.