Swearing-in ceremony Monday for Yuma County board
The Yuma County Board of Supervisors will begin the new year with new board leadership this week.
The Supervisors will select a chairman and vice-chairman from among themselves when they meet Monday. The 2012 chairman was Greg Ferguson and the vice-chairman was Russell McCloud.
The meeting will also include a swearing-in ceremony for all elected county officials who were voted into office in November. The ceremony will be followed by a reception in the lobby of the Yuma County Administration Building, 198 S. Main St.
In other meeting action, the supervisors will consider and may adopt the 2014-2018 Countywide Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan identifies priorities and goals for services provided by the county. For objectives that require supplemental funding, the strategies will have to be adopted as part of the county's annual budget, which is developed each year in June.
Broader countywide goals include community health, safety and well-being; county resources; customer satisfaction; economic development; and public awareness, trust and participation.
A few sample items:
– Increase the number of county burial plots to 1,000 by fiscal year 2018
– Increase vaccination coverage levels for universally recommended vaccines in children by 10 percent by fiscal year 2018
– Increase participation in libary programming for all ages
– Reduce the disparity between voter turnout in Yuma County and the statewide average to 4 percent by 2018
– Increase the percentage of returned early ballots to 60 percent by fiscal year 2015
– Identify a minimum of two unincorporated areas in which to promote bio-fuel production by fiscal year 2014.
In other internal assignments housekeeping, the board will decide how to divide their representation among assorted committees and commissions, including the Greater Yuma Economic Development Corporation, the local emergency planning committee, the U.S. Mexico Border Counties Coalition, the Yuma Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Yuma Metropolitan Organization Executive Board.
The meeting begins at 9 a.m. Visit www.yumacountyaz.gov/bos to view the full agenda and supporting documents.