Most Viewed Stories
Duplex heavily damaged in fire
One person was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation Monday after a fire broke out in the in the duplex she lived in with her three children.
Yuma firefighters responded to 2078 S. Walnut Ave. at 2 p.m. Callers reported seeing heavy smoke and flames coming from the windows of one of the detached duplex apartments in the complex.
Upon their arrival, firefighters found flames coming out of the windows of one of the units. Once on scene it didn't take firefighters long to put out the fire, keeping it from spreading to other units and overhanging trees.
The apartment, which is operated by the Housing Authority City of Yuma, sustained heavy damage to the interior and contents. The attached apartment, whose occupants evacuated safely when warned of the fire, was not damaged and was expected to be reoccupied later Monday.
A mother and three children — a daughter and two sons — were home at the time the first started. All were able to evacuate the home but the mother was taken to Yuma Regional Medical Center for evaluation due to her exposure to smoke.
Fire investigators called to the scene were able to determine the fire started in one of the bedrooms. Further investigation concluded the fire was started by children lighting scraps of paper on fire.
Monday's 109-degree heat and 20 percent humidity also made for dangerous conditions for firefighters.
James Gilbert can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org