Most Viewed Stories
San Luis police officer alerts family to fire
A south county family has a San Luis police officer to thank for escaping a fire at their home early Tuesday morning.
At 3 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to a trailer park located at 115 E County 22nd St. for the report of a trailer house on fire, according to Luis Cebreros, public information officer for the San Luis Fire Department.
Cebreros said a neighbor called 911 and reported that dense smoke was coming from a small compartment in the trailer house, where the water heater is located.
A San Luis police officer was first on scene and knocked on the front door of the home to alert the occupants that their trailer was on fire.
“Occupants of the trailer state they didn't realize what was going on and were completely unaware of the danger they were in during their sleep,” Cebreros said.
Upon their arrival, firefighters searched the area for the source of the fire, locating it and quickly extinguishing it. Cebreros said no one was injured in the incident and very little smoke and water damage was done to the trailer.
“The cause of the fire was due to an electrical extension cord being used as permanent wiring for the water heater,” Cebreros said.
Also, Cebreros said the trailer did not have smoke detectors, which would have alerted the occupants of the smoke from the fire.
San Luis Fire Department officials said that during the holiday season, this incident gives more reason why smoke detectors need to be serviced and electrical appliances need to be unplugged if not being used. And indoor heaters should be placed away from any object that is flammable and away from the reach of small children.
James Gilbert can be reached at email@example.com or 539-6854. Find him on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/YSJamesGilbert or on Twitter at @YSJamesGilbert.