Bomb threat takes students out of classroom
A bomb threat led to the removal of students from classrooms at three schools Monday for a brief time.
At 7:22 a.m., a caller called Yuma High School and said a bomb had been planted at either Kofa High School, Yuma High School or Cibola High School.
Police said the caller sounded like a male teenager trying to disguise his voice.
The schools were notified, and police conducted a search of all three schools.
Officers did not find anything suspicious and students returned to class by second period, Sgt. Leanne Worthen said.
She explained that when Yuma Union High School District schools receive a threat, school officials and the Yuma Police Department evaluate the credibility of the threat and then take appropriate precautions.
Sometimes the threat results in a lockdown, a fire drill or different action, she said.
Following lockdowns and fire drills, the school administration debriefs with the police department.
In the event of a “credible, confirmed” threat or a complete evacuation of students off the campus, parents and the media would be alerted, Worthen added.
Mara Knaub can be reached at email@example.com or (928) 539-6856. Find her on Facebook at Facebook.com/YSMaraKnaub or on Twitter at @YSMaraKnaub.