Credit for private school tuition program increases
Arizonans have the opportunity to divert more of what they owe in income taxes this year to students who attend private and parochial schools.
School Tuition Association of Yuma (STAY) program administrator Rex Pope said that thanks to a new law that went into effect in January, the cumulative credit limit available for married couples is $2,006 and for other tax payers it is $1,003.
While individual tax credit limits for the current tax year is $1,006 for married couples and $503 for all other tax payers, there's a second credit now available referred to as the “switcher credit” and the limits for this year are $1,000 for married couples and $500 for any other tax payer.
Pope said that the individual tax credit is available to students who attend private schools. The switcher credit is available to a student who is either a dependent of an active duty military member stationed in Arizona by order, has received a corporate low-income scholarship a previous year and continues to attend a private school, or has attended a public Arizona school for 90 days of the prior school year.
He added that there is also a corporate tax credit option as well.
Visit www.azstay.org for more information about donating or eligibility for scholarships.
Pope explained that STAY traditionally issues out 94 percent of dollars received in scholarships. The other 6 percent, he said, goes to pay for its review or audit and the cost of the tax returns.
STAY is a tax-exempt organization that was incorporated in 1999 for the purpose of implementing the Arizona Private School Tax Credit and accepts donations for private schools. By law, donations for private schools cannot be given directly to schools.
Students in private schools that benefit from donations to STAY include Calvary Baptist, Hand in Hand Christian School, Immaculate Conception, Southwestern Christian, St. Francis of Assisi, The Learning Pad Christian Preschool, Yuma Adventist Christian School, Yuma Lutheran and Yuma Catholic High School.
Contributors to STAY may indicate on their donation card the school to which they wish to donate. Donations should be mailed to STAY, P.O. Box 515, Yuma AZ 85366.
Credit card payment options area available through www.azstay.org or by contacting STAY at 782-5786.
Sarah Womer can be reached at email@example.com or 539-6858. Find her on Facebook at Facebook.com/YSSarahWomer or on Twitter at @YSSarahWomer.