Many differences between liberals, conservatives
This is in response to Roger Greison’s letter to the editor on conservatives vs. liberals. I would like to comment about the real difference. While it might not be as entertaining as Greison’s view, this is the real difference.
Liberals believe that individuals are collectively responsible for the welfare of the entire community. Thus more programs to help the entire community mean that higher taxes and bigger government is needed to oversee the programs.
• Affirmative action
• Gun regulation
• Social help
• Insurance that covers all
• Support welfare program
• Separation of church and state — no religion in schools
• Against the death penalty
• Regulated market
Conservatives believe that individuals are responsible for themselves, and that the community benefits from the efforts of the individuals acting in their interests. Thus less governmental programs, less taxes and less government is the goal.
• Equality takes a back seat
• Believe there is reverse racism in affirmative action
• No gun regulation
• No social help
• No separation of church and state
• Religion in public schools
• Support the death penalty
• Free market