- Good sleep habits essential for kids
- BY SARAH WOMER - @YSSARAHWOMER
- When it comes to children under the age of 18, recommended hours of rest vary by age group.
Dr. Fahd Al-Alou at the Tuscany Children Clinic in Yuma said that while he has daily sleep amount recommendations he encourages parents to follow, they are n... Full story
- Stories make bedtime a treat
- BY EMILY SCHERRER
- I still remember my father coming into my room after the nightly ritual of scrubbing my cheeks and brushing my teeth. He would saunter in on one side of his body, limping slightly, muttering to himself; cotton balls were stuck in the sides of his mou... Full story
- Lack of sleep can lead to learning issues
- Many families have questions in regards to the importance of sleep. How many hours of sleep does my child need? Are naps important or how long should they last? First Things First has complied articles and research that I’m sure all of you will... Full story
- Bed time: Consistency prevents child sleep disorders
- SYLVIA ALLEN -- SPECIAL TO RAISING HEALTHY YUMA FAMILIES
- His mother was asleep. Her toddler awoke during the night and wandered down to the swimming pool to float his little boat at the isolated dude ranch where the family was vacationing.
His dad and a friend, having left the door unlocked, were catfishi... Full story
- Bad dreams: Parents can take steps to minimize the effects of nightmares
- BY EMILY SCHERRER
- Does your child wake up crying or trembling? Do they appear sleepy and “out of it” in the mornings?
Perhaps your child is suffering from nightmares, unpleasant dreams that create intense emotions such as horror, sadness or fear. Usually ... Full story
- Defeating stress: How to help a child handle difficult situations
- BY MARA KNAUB @YSMaraKnaub
- Kids under stress? Some might be quick to say that kids don’t have stress. After all, they only have to deal with school and playtime, right?
Wrong! Kids do experience stress, and it’s up to their parents and caregivers to teach them way... Full story
- Preventing a tragedy: Experts offer advice on defending against SIDS
- BY MARA KNAUB @YSMaraKnaub
- Nothing could be more devastating than the sudden and unexpected loss of a child.Yet it happens every day around the world. Mom or dad will check on their sleeping baby only to find him or her lifeless.
The American SIDS Institute describes it as &l... Full story
- Sleep vital for preschoolers
- Some children will try anything to get out of going to sleep at night.
As a parent and a grandparent, I know the struggles of trying to keep a bedtime consistent with life’s activities and demands. I used to believe that if you let your child ... Full story
- Who's ready for a nap??
- BY SARAH WOMER @YSSarahWomer
- How do you find the balance, and how do you know when your kid is ready to give them up?Dr. Fahd Al-Alou at the Tuscany Children Clinic in Yuma shared that a child’s general increase in happiness and activity level can be a good indicator that ... Full story
- Exercise, fish on East Main Canal pathway
- As the temperatures begin to fall with the onset of autumn, Yuma area residents and their families will head outside to get some fresh air and enjoy the scenery.
There are many outdoor activities in Yuma to choose from, but one requiring little to n... Full story
- Raising Yuma: Focus on reading
- In this edition
- BY ROXANNE MOLENAR
- Reading is magical, for a variety of reasons.
It opens doors to worlds of adventure and imagination, while at the same time, it's a skill that is essential to one's success as an adult.
Reading to our kids at every stage – from in utero on &n... Full story
- 'Toys' great tools for early readers
- Dad's Column
- BY EDWARD CARIFIO
- In an issue devoted to reading, of course there is an article devoted to technology and how it helps children in learning the first, and most fundamental, of the three Rs.Well, this column is going to go a step further. That article focuses on smart ... Full story
- Reading perks
- Experts note benefits, even before birth
- MARA KNAUB
- During a recent Babytime at the Yuma Main Library, Marina Torres cuddled with her 14-month-old son, Esteban, as she read him the rhyming children's book, “Find the Bird.”Reading together is a special time for mother and toddler. Torres ha... Full story
- Tips for getting your children ready for kindergarten
- Learning begins at birth, and parents use the basic principles of reading, talking to and nurturing their child to help them start getting kids ready for school. In addition to the tips below, parents are encouraged to check libraries, newspapers, we... Full story
- Yuma libraries provide more than books
- CHRIS MCDANIEL - @YS_CMCDANIEL
- With the end of the school year rapidly approaching for many students, parents may be wondering where they can take their children during the summer to participate in fun and educational activities. The answer? Your local library.There are eight publ... Full story
- New standards put focus on reading
- BY SARAH WOMER
- With Arizona third-grade students required to meet reading standards at the end of the 2013-2014 before moving up a grade level, local elementary schools have ramped up their focus on literacy.As part of the “Move on When Reading” initiat... Full story
- Hot off the shelf!
- BY HILLARY DAVIS
- Emily Scherrer, the youth services manager at the Yuma County Library, knows what the youngest bookworms like. Check out some of her suggestions for the little ones, whether they can read on their own yet or not.BABIES & TODDLERS (3 and younger)B... Full story
- iRead eBooks: Today's toddlers growing up with technology
- BY MARA KNAUB
- Two-year-old Micah Blackburn is an expert at using his mom's iPad and iPhone. Without any help, he swipes his little finger across the screen, finds the e-book app he wants and presses and picks his way around the interactive story.“I play them... Full story
- Five Questions with Dr. Nader Haddad and Dr. Dania Sweidan
- Husband and wife team Dr. Nader Haddad and Dr. Dania Sweidan operate Yuma Women Clinic, which focuses on obstetrics and gynecology services. Their goal is to provide good communication and personalized care with their patients. In fact, their web sit... Full story
- Financial literacy key to future success
- Tom Rush
- On the heels of the Great Recession, one might consider adding financial literacy to the list of skills student lack.In his recent State of the Union address, President Barack Obama spoke of seeing a “Sputnik moment” for the nation's educ... Full story