Don't have to look far for outdoors opportunities
Those of us who enjoy the outdoors don't have to look far to find something fun to do. For those who hunt and fish, there is a world of enjoyment waiting. If you enjoy camping and hiking, Yuma is the place to be. And If you are merely interested in shooting whether for recreation, practice or competition, everything you might want is right here waiting for you to take advantage of.
Yuma's lakes and rivers are filled with great places to fish, by boat or from the shore, whether you're a novice or experienced angler with fishing clubs ready and waiting to welcome and assist you in learning everything you'd like to know to enjoy the sport to its fullest. And don't forget local ponds available in the Yuma area for our fishing fun with lots of fish in residence.
For the hunter as well as for the shooting enthusiast, the Adair Park Shooting Range facility has firearms ranges open during the week and free of charge for that much-needed practice with scheduled matches on weekends put on by maintaining clubs at the park. Whatever your shooting discipline, Adair Park has it ready and waiting for you. Get together with the Yuma Valley Rod and Gun Club as well with hunting and fishing events planned all year long set up for the whole family.
In addition to Adair Park, the Foothills Archery Range is open all week to any archer wanting to shoot the trail of 3-D animals, free all week with scheduled shoots on Sundays. Check out the Shooting Sports in this column, then take advantage of them and enjoy yourself to the fullest.
• Renegade Archers of Yuma: All archers are most welcome to shoot the trail of 3-D animals each Sunday at 9 a.m. for recreation as well a practice for bowhunting and good competition ready and waiting with reasonable fees for adults and free to all youngsters at the Foothills Archery Range. Take advantage of free practice at the range during the week - call Jean Wilson at 726-0953. Latest winners: UNL: Sr. men — 1. Lowell Lehman 243-6x, 2. Ken Wells 243-5x, 3. Gordie Lehman, 4. Ed Ernst, 5. Dwight Newsom; Sr. women — 1. Sandi Lehman; LIM: 1. Duane Kleiman; TRAD: Sr. — Dick Gilleland and Dick Gale tied, Men — 1. Michael Rosner.
• Southwest Bowhunters: Shoot archery with the club at 9 a.m. Sundays at Adair Park with practice range open all week - call Wayne Wittenberg at 314-0140. Latest Walk the Trail results: OPEN: Sr. men — 1. Steve Dockery, 2. Greg Gonzalez, 3. Charles Emerson; Sr. women — 1. Sharlene Dockery; Men — 1. Bart Lawhorn, 2. Jose Cruz, 3. Raymond Gonzalez; UNL: Sr. men — 1. Ken Wells, 2. Thomas Stamate, 3. Bob Kelly; Men — 1. Mike Haber, 2. Dean Edwards, 3. Ron Meinert; Women — 1. Audi Fox, 2. Diane Gonzalez, 3. Luisa Cruz; Youth — 1. Sean Franklin, 2. Damien Silvera, 3. Jose Cruz Jr.; Cub — 1. Austin Barksdale; PeeWee — Emilio Wilson; LIM: Sr. — 1. Tom Jackson; Men — Sam Fulkerson; BH: Men — 1. Ken Moore; Women — 1. Barbara Albright; PeeWee boy — 1. Jason Barksdale; PeeWee girl — 1. Anais Cruz, 2. Kylie McCloud, 3. Brenna Barksdale; Half-pint — 1. Jackson Wittenberg; TRAD: Sr. men – 1. Darryl Nickeson, 2. Ted Ruddell, 3. Harold Newhouse; Sr. women — 1. Pat Morriss; Youth — 1. Austin Solis; Cub: 1. Emilio Griego, 2. Phillip Griego; Half-pint: 1. Emma McCloud; MODERN LONGBOW: Men — 1. Dennis Wylder, 2. Tom Morriss; Women — 1. Francin Wilder.
• Yuma Trap and Skeet Club: Open trap and skeet 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, noon to 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at Adair Park. Call John Gross at 580-7837. Ask about the youth programs including 4H - call Stanley Gourley 726-3904, Yuma Young Guns - call Couch Franco 246-7157, Boy Scouts Venture program - call Mike Brick 783-9268, and the Scholastic Clay Target program - Game and Fish 342-0091.
• Yuma Territorial Longrifles: Club meeting the first Saturday each month with black powder matches first and third Saturdays at Adair Park, all at 8:30 a.m. - call James Ingram at 726-6632. Roger Bickel - 726-7453 - conducts Open .22 Rifle Schutezen Matches the second and fourth Tuesdays at the black powder range.
• Cholla Gun Club: Events all week at the Adair Park metallic silhouette range with sign up at 8:30 a.m. On Wednesdays and Fridays — .22 Rifle and Pistol fun shoots, open to all with any rimfire firearm, door prizes each Friday; Silhouette Matches fourth Saturdays and Sundays through March for lever action rifles. Call Glenda or Rick at 314-1029.
• Yuma Rifle and Pistol Club: March 21 — Long Range Match open to civilian, service, women, men and junior shooters signing up by 7:30 a.m. at the Adair Park big bore (long range) range. Call Paul Lerma at 783-6766.
• Yuma Matchmasters: Open IPSC Combat Match March 14 at the Adair Park small bore range with sign up at 7:30 a.m. Open Cowboy Match March 28. Call Ron Gissendaner at 726-0022.
• Desert Bass Anglers: Check next week's column for latest tournament results or call Mac or Bobbi McDermott at 726-1984 or visit email@example.com. In the latest newsletter the club reports that according to the Bureau of Reclamation water release, there should be twice as much water to play in this month with no sandbar problems. Water somewhat dirty so anglers still need to be careful of debris in the water and hidden bars. Water temperatures fluctuating with weather changes but in the 58 to 62 degree range in the lakes and backwaters.
• American Bass: Sign up 4-6 p.m. Friday at Sportsmen's Hideaway or 1 to 2 hours prior to safelight Saturday at Fisher's Landing to fish that days tournament. Call Gabe Valdez at 1-928-897-5691.
• Yuma Bassmasters: Open Bass Tournament — March 20 with signup beginning at 5:30 a.m. that day at Fisher's Landing. Jimmy Waits was contacted by WON bass wanting tournaments to restart in Yuma with Nitro Boas sponsoring. Bassmasters will give first-timer certificate to the fort out of the money team on March 20, an introductory free entry to be used by a fisherman who has never previously participated in any WON Bass Pro Circuit Event. Call River Marine at 783-6502 or Jeff Pacewic at 580-2031
• Yuma Pro/Am: Pay the $15 membership with $25 basic tournament entry plus options and sign up March 22-27 at Sportsmen's Hideaway with the draw that Saturday to fish March 28 launching out of Fisher's Landing. Call Bob La Londe at 520-1270 or visit firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bass Class on the Water: Call Dave Willhide at 782-2621.
Contact Jean Wilson at email@example.com or call 726-0953.